What happens when a leader leaves?¶
When a member of the leadership team leaves, there are a number of extra tasks that need to be completed. These mainly deal with documentation and aspects of our automated infrastructure.
Dealing with documentation¶
- Move the leader to the Former Canoeists page on the company website.
- Replace any references to the leader in this handbook.
- Look through the
DEPLOYMENT.mdfiles in project repositories, and raise merge requests to remove references to the leader.
- Remove the leader from any Trello boards and other client-facing documentation.
- Ensure that the leader does not own any remaining project documents.
- Remove the leader from shared email addresses, such as
- Remove the leader's personal email forwarder and replace it with an auto-response which sends people to
- Some automated repositories have the GitLab usernames stored in environment variables. These should be replaced with the CTO's username.
- Set an expiration date on GitLab group or project memberships. This should be the leaver's last day in the company.
- Remove any user accounts the leader has on Beautiful Canoe servers.